Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Chapters 18,19,20,21 The drunk times of Holden

In these 4 chapters I am going to discus about Holden being drunk. In the 4 chapters it did not just rapidly start talking about Holden being drunk. In chapter 18, it leads up to Holden being bored and not having much to do. So he calls up Jane, "but her phone didn't answer" (136). So he called Carl Luce which used to go to Whooton School but he graduated. Holden and Luce both made plans to go to the "Wicker Bar, on 54th" (137) at 10 o'clock and that's how it led up to Holden becoming drunk. In chapter 19 Holden is at the bar and is with Luce. Holden and Luce began to talk about sex and are drinking together. Luce "ordered a dry Martini". At the end of chapter 19 Holden tells Luce "Have just one more drink"(149) then Luce left. In chapter 20, Holden "kept sitting there getting drunk"(149). After a while of drinking he explains to us on how he acts when he becomes drunk which i find it pretty funny. "When  I was really drunk, I started that stupid business with the bullet in their guts" (150). He also says "I was the only guy at the bar with a bullet in their guts"(150). He then calls Sally and he was super drunk. Sally could tell he was drunk so she told him to go home and get to bed. In chapter 21, He goes and see's Phoebe and I personally feel like he was kind of mean to her. This is a good example of how I feel like that "'Wait a second, willya?' I said. 'I'm asking you a question" (163). The reason why I felt like that was kinda mean was because she was just super excited to see him and there are ways to ask her a question with out being so rude or mean.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry I forgot my connection and passage, here it is...
    http://www.indiana.edu/~adic/effects.html

    "'Holden, this is me.' It was old Sally. 'What's the big idea?' 'Sally? That you?' 'Yes-stop screaming. Are you drunk?' 'Yeah. Listen. Listen, hey. I'll come over Christmas Eve. Okay? Trimma goddam tree for ya. Okay? Okay, hey, Sally?' 'Yes. You're drunk. Go to bed now. Where are you? Who's with you?' 'Nobody. Me, myself and I.' Boy was I drunk! I was even still holding onto my guts. 'They got me. Rocky's mob got me. You know that? Sally, you know that?' 'I can't hear you. Go to bed now. I have to go. Call me tomorrow.' 'Hey, Sally! You want me trimma tree for ya? Ya want me to? Huh?' 'Yes. Goodnight. Go home and go to bed" (151)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I'm really late, totally my fault if Tristen doesn't respond in time:

    I thought the connection was very insightful to Holden's behavior, and I liked the textual evidence you gave in the post to demonstrate how he exhibited those effects. The passage you gave also really reinforces the idea that Holden is not only not right in his head, but drunk as well....he seriously needs help, but of course, we've already established that fact :)

    Sorry again....

    ReplyDelete